PARADOX OF GHOSTING
I AM RAMBLING AGAIN…
This has to be the most broken I have ever been in my whole life. It almost felt like I was immune to suffering or pain, especially the kind that deals with love, but I was wrong, and it sucks.
Life is full of paradoxes. It's ridiculous because before now, I could explain everything I know, understood everything I did, everything you did, and everything had a reason or another. An impact I could understand if I only spent some time researching. It was through this research that I learned about Zeno's Paradox, a theory introduced by Zeno himself, which questions the very nature of motion and change. Or Schrödinger's Cat, a thought experiment illustrating the complex nature of quantum mechanics and observation. These theories brought me back to reality—that no matter what I do, no matter how careful or calculative, there are things I am not immune to and, worst of all, things I might never fully understand. Look at you. You, the man before you, and the one before him have ghosted me before. I was meant to know better. I should have seen this coming, right?
I can never understand why you keep ghosting me, and maybe you don't understand it as well. I have gone through our chats, and I have a vivid recollection of everything I said, how I said it, and where I said it. I thought that since it had happened before, I had ticked all the boxes and kept communication sane.
Being ghosted feels like an enigma that leaves me stranded, with a zillion questions hovering around my head. Last night, I was struggling to lift my phone to my ear because the tears kept blurring my vision when I stumbled upon a tweet that claimed men love women who are wicked to them, saying it keeps them on their toes. This hit me hard, giving me memories of my mother, the woman who gave birth to her, her sisters, and the females they bore. Despite being generous with love and kindness, they never got to experience love that stayed. It explains why I might never find love, too, because, to me, love doesn't mean pretense, cowardice, dishonesty, or pain. Even though love is affection, that's not all there is to it. The love I was fed, taught, and understood is kind, vulnerable, consistent, and considerate. So when it leaves me anxious, worried, and looking over my shoulders, I am aware it isn't love.
When did we even come up with the concept of love bombing, and how is that the language you understand? A colleague, as curious as me, told me that anesthesia can delete or suppress memories. For a long while, the only thing I knew of anesthesia was that it's meant to relieve pain, relax muscles, and control psychological functions. I wanted to mention it to you the other day you kissed me fiercely. I still think of the kiss and keep wishing you will be the last person I will kiss. Do you remember the day you came and kept looking at me? How you looked at me like you were looking deep into my soul? For the first time in years, I texted Rahab to say I feel seen. These are memories I wouldn't want to be erased. Does anesthesia choose which memories it erases? Was I being love bombed?
I am learning that addiction isn't merely a failure of willpower but a complex brain disease that alters our decision-making processes. Am I clinging to this definition because it makes me feel better about my unhealthy addiction to you? Or am I just a hypochondriac, feigning sickness so you see how terrible I am at life without you, or using it as an excuse for you to keep visiting, holding me close, and texting to ask if I am fine? I wonder if my compulsion to check my phone, to scroll endlessly through social media, is any different from my addiction to you.
I read that earthquakes occur due to tectonic plate movements, volcanic activity, or human actions. I'm convinced the reason the hole in my chest feels like an earthquake is due to the last part! Is it your words, your reassurances, your gaze, and the possibility that I might never experience this again that's creating this hole? No matter how much I try to forget you, I always fail.
Why do I have such audacity to think of you like I have a monopoly over you, over your life, and when you choose to leave me? Who made me the accountant of your heart? Am I losing sleep because I love you, or is this just a familiar feeling from seeing the man who had intercourse with my mum and bore me, of how we waited for our turn to see him, begged for him to stay, and how I am still stuck on the stories she tells whenever the waiting starts—her loud whimpers and lies of "it's too much AC" causing the catarrh, and how she died lonely and alone. Truly, grief has no language, and it's unfair that death is the final form of ghosting, a paradox that can't be undone.
I spent 4 hours at the petrol station today. I am amused that even though a liter costs 750 and I cannot afford to fill my tank, I was still there, waiting. It's a wasted effort, just like how I keep tapping my phone. Maybe if it doesn't die, you will call, text, send an email, or apologize and give me a valid reason why you conveniently leave me when you can. Such a wasted effort, like the one you put into making me love you, knowing that you will leave anytime. Wasted efforts like me writing, editing, and looking between the lines of this work, knowing fully well I will never send it to you.
Sim, how do i explain that this is the best thing i have read this year
ReplyDeleteExquisite.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautifully written. I like the story.
ReplyDeleteI'll start this note by saying that I have no excuse at all. I am responsible for all I do and all that I do not do. I'll continue and say that I have no reason at all. All the things I do and do not do I just find myself doing. The word excuse is used when what has been done is considered negative and reason when the action is not understood. When it is considered positive? When it is positive people hardly ever ask why, they seem to know, they think they know, they don't think about it.
ReplyDeleteYou have a million questions now but I'll first answer the one you didn't ask, at least not as relentlessly as these million.
I won't give you the answer, I don't have it, I'll only give a part of it. Why did I, unlike a ghost, occupy the space next to you and take a pose that betrayed the desire to share your skin? I just found myself there. While I was there I felt this pull that never stopped and I never resisted, always ever getting nearer to you. When I tried to look for the strings attached to my self and trace them to the parts of you that pulled, I found nothing. The only thing I knew, I know, is that you are real and you really pack unrealistic substance, mass for the space you occupy. A blackhole. Science people say that everything pulls and reckon that none do like a blackhole.
While I was drawing nearer, something kept growing in me. Fear kept growing in me. There's something about a black hole. It pulls softly at first and when you get closer it pulls harder and harder until you reach it's event horizon. What happens to things that fall into black holes? There are theories but no one knows for sure. That is the problem, what happens to me if I am pulled completely into you? Do I sound silly? It doesn't matter, the fear is real. About the event horizon, when anything enters this area around the black hole it has lost all hope of going against the pull, not even light, the fastest thing we know of in this world, escapes when it enters this place, it must fall into the blackhole and, I have to say again, when it falls in no one knows for sure what happens to it.
This is why I become a ghost. I do so only in an effort to avoid coming so close to you that I have no choice but to fall in. Call me coward but it is the fear of what will become of me that makes me resist your pull. When I have dragged myself away to a safer distance, I let myself float towards you again. I will have to repeat this over and over because I do not want to be consumed.
I cannot ask you to understand. I do not myself. Having said all this, I'll end this note by saying, I am responsible for all I do and do not do, I have no excuse at all.
You cannot love and fear at the same time, only infatuation brings fear of the future. But to truly love takes courage and bravery.
DeleteThat is what you want it to be... We want to imbue love with all the virtuous characters but so often forget that the lover is human and will most likely not be all-virtuous.
DeleteNow, Love is an emotion, so is fear and they are not opposed to themselves, they exist on different planes.
Lastly, where does infatuation stop and love start–or the other way? Attempting to answer the question will call to our attention and remind us that we have carried abstract ideas and tried to be rigid with them, this isn't helping.
In conclusion, your claim that love is without fear is only on the grounds of what you imagine, what you want, and not what is.
A false statement, "Love is without fear". Love and fear, like every other emotion know to man, respect the law "the strong survives and the week perish". It is the your responsibility to grow love, to tame fear. There is fear in every situation of man, but there is something that tames it.
DeleteSuch a beautifully written piece on love and fear and the intricate dance of balancing both.
DeleteIt feels like there’s so much more where it came from and I hope you are able to share the fear with the person involved. It’ll be a shame to not share the vulnerability with him/her.
True love conquers. I pray you get the courage to own it and live in its glory. Selah.
Sending you love and hugs ♥️
ReplyDeleteEven as a scourge on your own soul, it was beautifully written.
One of the comments said you are packed with unrealistic substance and I totally agree. You have a way of presenting pain, grief, and loss in a delightful way, one easily gets lost in it and almost wish to experience such.
ReplyDeleteBut what I love the most about your writing is how you confidently present us with some truths about your life, that's courage.
Heart aches feels like rejection, the panic attacks is unbearable. It’s been 7 months 27 days since he said he was no longer interested. I felt like I was pierced in my chest, i know he wrote a long epistle on my we couldn’t be together, he wanted better. I hate the fact that I can’t have you and what’s more painful is how my hard is harden towards other men. Just know that you aren’t alone in this pain🫂
ReplyDelete